UK’s Johnson Cancels India Trip Amid COVID-19 Concerns

International News, Uncategorized

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has called off a planned visit to India, scheduled to take place next week.

A statement by Mr. Johnson’s office on Monday said the cancellation was due to the current coronavirus situation in India.

“In the light of the current coronavirus situation, Prime Minister Boris Johnson will not be able to travel to India…” the statement said.

“Instead, Prime Ministers Modi and Johnson will speak later this month to agree and launch their ambitious plans for the future partnership between the UK and India,” it added.

The announcement by Mr. Johnson’s office came in the wake of India’s capital region, Delhi, ordering a six-day lockdown as daily COVID-19 cases nationwide hit a new record.

The lockdown order was issued earlier on Monday as the region’s health system crumbled under the weight of new infections.

Across India, hospitals are struggling with a shortage of beds, oxygen and key medicines even as infections exceed the 15 million mark, second only to the US.

“Delhi’s health system is unable to take more patients in big numbers,” Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal told a virtual press briefing on Monday.

He said “if a lockdown isn’t implemented now the situation will go beyond control

Leave a Reply